Dependable Septic Tank Care Savannah GA
Mother Nature tackles a fair amount of the septic tank care your unit needs, but you’ll still be responsible for some of it and you will need a licensed professional to handle the rest. Between the complexity of a system and local laws, it’s important to have a dependable installation, maintenance and repair company on hand. At Septic Tank Pros Savannah GA, our partner technicians are well versed in all kind of systems, from traditional to alternative models, and can manage all your septic tank care needs with professionalism and expertise.
DIY Septic Tank Care
Most systems around today are traditional models, with all the components buried underground. Because a failing or incorrectly installed/ modified system can contaminate the water table and poses a health risk to people and animals in the area, the state of Georgia has very strict rules on who can handle maintenance, repairs, and installations, as well as regulations for permits and licensing. As a homeowner, your main responsibilities for maintaining your system are outlined below:
- Be aware of where all the components of your system are and take steps to protect them. Don’t ever allow anyone to drive over the top of one or park on it.
- Don’t plant anything over or near the system. Vegetation over the top should be limited to grass only because roots can damage the lines.
- Don’t build anything over the top of the system. Pools, gazebos, patios, and other structures can affect how well the system works and the sheer weight can crush components.
- Don’t allow anyone to flush anything other than waste and toilet paper. Things like grease, sanitary napkins, diapers, and wipes will all clog the system. Chemicals and antibacterial soaps are also bad for the system, as they can kill off the bacteria that your system needs in order to work properly.
- Monitor your water usage and split up jobs that produce a lot of wastewater. Whenever possible, use appliances and fixtures that are designed to minimize water consumption and spread big jobs like laundry over the course of the week. If your system is hit with a lot of wastewater at once, it may not be able to handle it. Even leaky faucets contribute to the wastewater, so those should be monitored and repaired quickly.
- Don’t use additives in your system. There are many septic tank care additives available on the market. Quite a few of them contain chemicals that can actually damage the system. Others have bacteria to help “break down the waste.” There is no evidence that any of them help at all.
- Monitor your system for issues. Pay attention for things like sluggish drains and toilets, clogged drains, backups, and standing water. If you notice these problems, call Septic Tank Pros Savannah GA right away.
- Schedule regular maintenance and inspections. Georgia has strict requirements on when, how, and by whom service may be performed. As a general guideline, an inspection and pumping should be scheduled every 3-5 years, but if your home has a garbage disposal or other similar appliances, annual pumping may be necessary.
Professional Septic Tank Care
If you need any kind of professional septic tank care, including installation, maintenance, pumping, emergency repairs, or an inspection, contact Septic Tank Pros Savannah GA. Our partner technicians are dedicated to performing quality work and delivering the best customer service possible. Call (912) 304-4030 today.